October 28, 2005

Grammatical Synesthesia?

Is the illustrated Strunk & White’s Elements of Style, as reported in the October 19, 2005 issue of the New York Times, a case of grammatical synesthesia? The illustrator, Maira Kalman (also known for her 2001 NewYorkistan New Yorker cover), is quoted as saying “ 'Each sentence was so full of incredible visual reference,' she recently recalled. ‘I said to myself, how could anyone not have illustrated this before?’”

I love Strunk & White as much as the next person, but I don’t think of it visually. Now, of course, I will; it’s at the top of my holiday request list.

October 19, 2005
Arts: 'Style' Gets New Elements
By JEREMY EICHLER
The first illustrated edition of "The Elements of Style" features artwork by Maira Kalman, and an accompanying song cycle by Nico Muhly.

No comments: