March 09, 2007

"The Crusade Against Religion"


Been meaning to post about the November 2006 article in Wired magazine called The Crusade Against Religion, but time kept slipping away. Plus, I didn't much agree with the article, and now that I've heard a counter argument to the "new atheism", I'm more comfortable with it.

The "New Atheists" would ask us (scientists, mostly, I think, but also the population at large) "Where do you stand on God?"

"The New Atheists ... condemn not just belief in God but respect for belief in God. Religion is not only wrong; it's evil. ... Three writers have sounded this call to arms. They are Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and Daniel Dennett." Gary Wolf, author of the Wired article, interviewed all three of them about the new atheism and wrote this thought-provoking article.

Wolf concludes: "The irony of the New Atheism -- this prophetic attack on prophecy, this extremism in opposition to extremism -- is too much for me."

No comments: