August 08, 2015

Fresh Cooked Edamame

As I was perusing the gorgeous displays at the Durham Farmer's Market today, I lingered at Piedmont Biofarm ... and discovered some fresh edamame. I've made it before, but this time I decided to research recipes to see if I could recreate the yummy experience of the edamame at Dashi.

This wasn't Dashi's, but it was QUITE DELICIOUS!

I couldn't find one, so I made up one, which I'll gladly reproduce and source here.

Stephanie’s Fresh Edamame
  • Sprinkle edamame generously with salt, rub vigorously, and let stand 15 minutes.
  • Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil, add the beans and boil over high heat for 5 to 6 minutes.
  • Don't cover the pot or the beans will lose their bright green color.
Drain cooked edamame in a colander and pat dry.

In same pot … heat:
  • Teaspoon of sesame seeds for 30 seconds, then add: 
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) or sesame oil
  • 2 cubes frozen garlic (or 2 teaspoons if you use fresh; I used Trader Joe's frozen for this quick meal)
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper paste (or equal measure of your favorite red pepper flakes
  • 2 T soy sauce
  • Smidge of fresh ginger
Cook for ~3 minutes

Add edamame to the sauce and toss; heat until edamame is warm



First part (i.e., tossing the edamame with salt & letting it sit for 15 minutes)
c.1997, M.S. Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved, at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/edamame-cooked-fresh-soybeans-recipe.html
Read more at:

Second Part adapted from:
Chili Garlic Edamame Recipe | Cooking with Coley http://cookingwithcoley.com/chili-garlic-edamame-recipe/

No comments: